Wednesday, February 5, 2014

 

A Letter Dudley Wrote To Help The MDA Raise Much Needed Funds ...

Dear Shamrock Campaign Supporter,

 

            My name is John D. Poulsen and I have been living with a Progressive Neuromuscular Disease for 54 years. Growing up, I always had trouble keeping up but I didn’t let that stop me from following my dreams. I graduated from Stephen F. Austin State University, got married and have two great kids. Frank is 24 and Lizzie is 21. I worked hard and played hard until age 40 when I suffered from a

Diaphragmatic Hernia. I had to have emergency surgery and a few days post-operation, I went into respiratory failure and had to be put on a ventilator. It was a tough battle, but I kept going: I had a lot to live for!


            At 41 years of age, I was diagnosed with Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy and began my association with MDA. The hardest thing for me living with Muscular Dystrophy has been not being able to pursue my hobbies due to physical limitations. I used to love all kinds of fishing and hunting and spending time in the great outdoors! I still hope that one day I will be able to go deer hunting in South Texas and get a monster Whitetail Buck! I miss riding motorcycles, four wheeling in my jeep and riding a tractor or a horse.


            I have regular check-ups with Dr. Robert McMichael, the Director of the local MDA clinic in Mansfield, TX, who recognized that I was suffering from severe Sleep Apnea. He worked hard to get me the machines that keep me breathing and keep me alive!

 
            MDA really is making a positive difference in the lives of the patients they serve and their families. They have helped me to acquire a power wheelchair and to replace the batteries when needed. I have been blessed to have been able to live an active life for a good number of years and I know there are young children who have more severe forms of Muscular Dystrophy who don’t have that opportunity.


            My family and I would like to extend our heart felt thanks and appreciation for your efforts to raise funds in support of the MDA. It really makes a difference as we tackle the day-to-day challenges of living with Muscular Dystrophy. I pray that someday a cure will be found for this disease.


Thanks so much!


John D. Poulsen





Comments:
You're a good man "Dudley". I've been following you for a while and appreciate hearing of your trials and how you overcome and press on. Keep at it.
Peter in Texas
 
Hey Peter Thanks for the nice comments! I see you are a Geologist. My father and grandfather were both Geologists. My father went to the University of Colorado then spent two years in the Airforce and finished his studies at TCU after WWII. My grandfather got his undergraduate degree at a University in Illinois and did post graduate work in Geology at Stanford.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]