Tuesday, August 28, 2007

 

When I Was A Kid One Of My Childhood Heroes Was ...






Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel, Jr or "Evel Knievel" as he was widely known. I always did like motorcycles and I remember being in awe watching him on ABC's Wide World Of Sports jumping his motorcycle vast distances at the Astrodome, Caesar's Palace and other venues. Like thousands of other boys, I built a ramp in my drive way and jumped my bike trying to emulate my hero. I crashed into my neighbors garage one day and was lucky I did not break my neck, but I survived. I remember the excitement in 1974 when he announced he was going to jump the Snake River Canyon in his Sky cycle. Myself and a few of my friends paid some of our hard earned money to go watch the historic jump live on closed circuit television. He did not make it across the canyon, some say the premature parachute release was planned. It did not matter to me. I still say he was and is the greatest dare devil of all time. I am sure Evel earned millions during his career. I think he broke just about every bone in his body at least once. From what I have read, he is paying for it now. I bet if he could turn back the clock, he would do it all again with no regrets.

Comments:
never really thought of him as a hero..just figured he had some kind of a death wish
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]