Saturday, August 25, 2007

 

Went By And Checked Out The Waco Suspension Bridge




I mentioned in an earlier post I liked old suspension bridges. Well I wasn't lying and this is one of my favorites. At one time this bridge was the longest (475 feet) single-span suspension bridge in the world and the first over the Brazos River. For a time it was the only bridge over the Brazos. Construction started in 1869 and the bridge opened in 1870. Being the only bridge made it a popular crossing point for cattle herds - an economic boon for Waco.The bridge was hauled in sections by wagons from Galveston. It is said to have been the prototype for the Brooklyn Bridge - built thirteen years later.The cost was $130,000 and sources say there were between 2,700,000 and 3,000,000 locally made bricks used in construction. I last walked across this bridge a good fifteen years ago. It was too hot today so I did not try it. My muscular dystrophy has progressed to the point walking is more and more difficult especially for any distance. I am hoping to get a lift for my truck soon. I have a power wheel chair which would be great for times when a lot of walking is required but I currently have no way to transport it. My doctor is supposed to be working on this. When I go see him next month I am anxious to get an update from him.

Comments:
Always thought it was cool, but kind of out of place.
 
Looks like a Roman bridge. I like it, has a park like atmosphere.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]