Sunday, August 19, 2007

 

My Son Called, He Made It Safely To A&M






He was going to put his truck in the covered parking garage. Sure didn't have that when I went to college. He loaded up his truck and left about 5:30 AM. When he got to the dorm, he parked in a loading zone and volunteers were there and quickly helped him carry all his stuff to his dorm room. They didn't have that when I went to college either. I well remember carrying my mini fridge up to the fourth floor to my dorm room. Up four flights of stairs, there was no elevator. He is lucky he scored a room on the first floor. He said his room is tiny. He got there before his roommate and was glad to claim the lower bunk. I guess he will spend the rest of the day hooking up and stocking his refrigerator, plugging in his color t.v. (I had b&w in college) connecting his laptop computer to the Internet which Al Gore had not even invented when I was in college. I am sure he will put away all of his clothes and then try to connect with all of his friends. There are 16 kids from his high school going to A&M and he knows most of them. I just walked into his room, I am sad at his being gone but excited for him at the same time. It seems he did not get around to cleaning up his room. I am sure his mom will do that for him. When my son was approaching his 18th birthday, I knew there were a couple of things that we were unable or did not get around to give him. The first was when he was a small child, he used to love to watch the Bozo The Clown show on t.v. in the morning. He would sit on the end of our bed and watch it while my wife and I were getting ready for work. He always wanted to be on that show and play the Grand Prize Game. I think the show was filmed in Chicago and we did not have the time or the money to fulfill this wish for him. The second was when he was little we used to watch Buckmasters on t.v. and he always wanted a Shotgun Red doll. Wanting to be a good dad, I bought my son a boxed Bozo The Clown Bucket Bonanza Grand Prize Game and a Shotgun Red doll and surprised him for his 18th birthday. I think he was pleased. I just noticed he left Bozo and Red behind when he left this morning. I am glad he did. I may have to go in his room from time to time and check up on them.

Comments:
I miss my kids too. But when they both left for Canada to go to school, I knew there wasn't anything left here in North Georgia to help them on with their lives. So it's for their best interest that we let them go. Hard, though.
 
"16 kids from his high school going to A&M and he knows most of them."

If one of them is a girl it could be why he at College Station instead of to Austin..
 
Your right Hermit, we have to let them grow up because we love them.
GuyK you may be on to something there. So far he has not shown that much interest in any one particular girl, but time will tell.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]