Monday, August 27, 2007

 

It Is Official, SCHOOL HAS STARTED Ready Or Not






My son starts classes at Texas A&M this morning and my daughter is starting her sophomore year of high school. I am sure they both will have a good year. Things sure have changed a lot since I was in school. When I was a kid all you needed the first day of school was a Big Chief writing tablet and a #2 pencil. Oh and a new pair of blue jeans, a new shirt and a new pair of Keds or Converse or PF Flyers tennis shoes. I don't remember seeing armed policeman or having to worry about being shot at school. Times have sure changed and not for the better I am afraid. I saw on t.v. the other day about some company is now making bullet proof back packs for children to take to school to be used as a shield when the bullets start flying. It is a crazy world we live in now. What a shame.

Comments:
amen! to that.
 
Oh boy. I remember them canvas Converse shoes who had strings that would catch ever grassburr on the school grounds at recess. And by Thanksgiving smelled pretty bad too...
 
I remember those "grass burrs" and "goat heads" on the playground in Wichita Falls. After we moved to "Cowtown" I remember having wars with other boys with "Indian Arrowheads" we called em. Some kind of weed seed with a long stick with an arrowhead on the end. You could throw em at close range and they would stick to the clothes of your target. Also remember those big Red Ants.

JDP
 
Things sure are different now. I'm grateful my kids are managing to navigate adolescence without too much trauma.
 
Terri, same here, so far so good. I try to talk to my kids and I do a lot of praying. the world is a scary place at times.

JDP
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]